Where can one find apartment listings?
Available apartments are listed in classified ads in local newspapers, in online websites, and through brokers. However, brokers are likely to charge a fee equivalent to one month’s rent, so be sure you have the funds, if you go that route. Here is a list of some websites to browse:
- Craig’s List
- Educational Housing Services (dorm style living)
- My Apartment Map
- N.Y. Bits
- N.Y. Habitat
We also recommend joining all Facebook Groups called “Gypsy Housing” in and around New York City and reviewing all apartment and roommate offers posted on these groups daily.
Consider the following questions during your apartment search:
- How long will it take me to commute to school?
- Will I be able to rehearse in the apartment?
- Do I feel safe in the neighborhood?
- How close is the nearest subway or bus stop?
- Is there a laundry in the building?
- What is in the neighborhood? (supermarket, bank, drug store, dry cleaner, etc.)
- Are utilities included in the rent?
- Can I afford the apartment alone or do I need roommates?
- Do I want my name on the lease, or do I prefer a sublet arrangement? (the latter requires less financial documentation)
What to check in an apartment:
When viewing apartments, it’s not just about square footage and location. There are many details to take into consideration. Click here for a helpful checklist.
- Signing your lease: Signing a lease is binding contract between you and the landlord. Be sure to thoroughly read and understand the terms of the lease before signing.
- If you have problems with your landlord or apartment facilities, consult the following resources which offer useful information about housing in New York City:
New York City Rent Guidelines Board
51 Chambers St., Suite 202
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 385-2934
Hopefully you will find this information helpful in your apartment search. International students should be aware that there are extra steps in the process. Additional resources are available to conservatory students upon enrollment.