Two - four full days of personalized coaching on scene, monologue and/or audition technique with Tom Todoroff. Intensives are held one to four times per year in select cities in the U.S., Canada and abroad. Each day of training begins approximately 9-10am and runs until approximately 5-6pm. Participants may observe the Intensive or perform. Performers come prepared with a scene, monologue, or cold read audition to work on.
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- strengthen and find your true voice
- seek your own good opinion
- be a text detective
- change the molecules in the room
- have talent for your talent
- think like a producer
- be the acting “CEO” of your own corporation
- dare us not to cast you
- know when you’re ready to get an agent
- be truly free by remaining unattached to the outcome
- de-mystify the process and become an acting athlete
- transform nervousness into intense excitement
- act moment to moment and find the need for every line
- harness the power of the outer casting office
- be expressive rather than impressive
- personalize a role and work from yourself
- vanquish the unspoken pact
- and much more!
YOU WILL LEARN WHY:
- the moment before can get you the job
- there are no “characters” in your script
- the words “random” and “whatever” are dangerous
- two hundred and fifty is a magic number
- your acting has little to do with why we cast you
- and much more!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Actors who would like to Perform must submit an application for the city and date of their choice. Go to the SCHEDULE for a list of upcoming Intensives and apply!
- Applicants will be notified within 48 hours regarding their acceptance. Accepted actors will be sent a link to enroll. This link must be followed and tuition paid before the Performer space will officially be reserved!
- Upon acceptance, Performers will be emailed a Welcome Package which includes our Syllabus and tools for the training.
- Performers may choose to work on a 1-2 minute monologue, a 3-4 minute scene with a scene partner, or work on their cold read audition technique.
- First Time Performers (those who have not yet been coached by Tom) – we recommend you work on a monologue or an audition rather than a scene, as the work is diagnostic your first time. If you are admitted within one week of the Intensive, you will be working on an audition piece (we will issue you the sides), unless you have a 1-2 minute monologue that you feel is fully prepared.
- Scene Options: Enroll with a friend, or request to be assigned a scene partner (dependent on actor availability). Prepare a 3-4 minute scene of your choosing. Your material must be approved by the TT Team BEFORE you start rehearsing. We’re happy to give you suggestions!
- Monologue Options: Prepare a 1-2 minute monologue of your choosing. Your material choice must be approved by the TT Team BEFORE you start rehearsing. We’re happy to give you suggestions!
- Cold Read Audition Option: Receive your “audition” sides the day before the Intensive. You will be performing your audition opposite a reader who will be seated in the audience.
- Back up material – Performers working on a scene or a monologue, please always come prepared with an additional 1-2 minute monologue if coaching requires it. Ideally you know this second piece off-book, but if you don’t, it’s fine to bring the script and read this second piece if necessary.
- You may choose a piece from our Suggested Scenes & Suggested Monologues Lists which will be in your Welcome Package email.
- You may choose a piece by one of the 250+ authors within our Syllabus found in your Welcome Package email.
- Stay away from famous plays and blockbuster films.
- Do not watch a version of the text you want to perform.
- Read the entire play and understand the play.
- Choose age appropriate material.
- Appropriate dialect for the text. Please only work on a piece that requires a dialect if you are well-rehearsed and completely comfortable working in that dialect.
- Wear appropriate clothes for the period.
- Basic furniture (chairs and a table) will be provided by the theater.
- Any additional props or furniture must be supplied by the actor. These must be taken home each night.
- Please plan to arrive in the city where you will be taking the intensive at least one day prior to the start of the course.
Observers & Newcomer Observers:
- Commit to learn, ask questions and take notes.
- Take part in the discussion following each performance.
- Show respect for the performers and the work they do.
- Please no walking in and out while the work is taking place.
- NOTE: Observers watch the work and are welcome to take part in the warm-ups each morning - they do not perform.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- All correspondence pertaining to the Intensive will be done by email. No phone calls please except in the case of a true emergency.
- It is your responsibility to check your email regularly! If you have not heard back from us, please resend the email.
- Please include your phone number and email address in all correspondence.
- Those who apply to Perform, if accepted, will be emailed their Acceptance Letter which will contain payment information.
- Performers will receive personalized coaching from Tom on their prepared piece of material.
- Observers and Newcomer Observers may enroll directly on the website – they do not need to wait on an acceptance letter.
- Observers and Newcomer Observers will not be coached by Tom personally (enroll as a Performer if you want to get coached by Tom!)
- Walk-ins are not guaranteed a spot at the Intensive. To guarantee your spot, you must enroll ahead of time and receive confirmation of your enrollment before attending.
- Intensives fill up QUICKLY. Don’t wait to apply.
- Should you require further information, please email Intensive@TomTodoroff.
com for international intensives and USintensive@TomTodoroff. com for intensives in the United States. Please specify the city and / or dates you're inquiring about.